Thursday, April 23, 2009

Website login without password tears

As our lives increasingly revolve around web apps, we end up with multiple user-name passwords combinations. Because websites have slightly different password rules, or because I don't trust the site with my 'main' password, I ended up with many sightly different passwords. So many, my head was ready to explode.

I'd signed up for OpenID a couple of years ago. But few sites support OpenID, I wasn't using personally until a fellow researcher started checking out Microsoft Geneva, which looks awesome. But I need a standards based solution I can work with right now, and incorporate into single sign-on systems from SoftieGoogooYahoo in the future.

I've trusted VeriSign with https certificates and visited their HQ in Mt View for the Java Posse meet-up and was awed by the level of security (like entering a military base). Long story short, VeriSigns PIP, personal identity portal works as a secure relay leaving you with just a single 3 way secure OpenID to sign-in to almost any real 'login' web site.

check it out https://pip.verisignlabs.com/ slide show 'inspiration':

No comments:

Post a Comment